[TowerTalk] tramming vs. "riding the rope"

To: "Dubovsky, George" <George.Dubovsky@andrew.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] tramming vs. "riding the rope"
From: Randall K Martin <rkmassoc@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 07:09:21 -0600
Yes, that is it exactly.  I find that the tiller needs to be about in
the same plane as the elements.  If I need to clear guy wires at the top
of the tower, the tiller may be something like 15 degrees below the
plane of the elements.  You can test the setting by simply pulling the
antenna up the tram a little ways.  When you have tension on the pull
rope, you'll see what kind of orientation you get with the antenna.

One other little trick I use.  When I'm prepping the antenna and tram
line, I place the antenna 30-40 feet closer to the tower on the ground
than my tram line ground attachment point.  I adjust the tension on the
tram line so it has enough length to come down from the tower to the
antenna boom and over to the ground attachment.  I then attach a cable
clamp to the tram line itself right over the boom.  The tram pulley
attaches just in front of the cable clamp towards the tower.

You need a come along with plenty of cable on it, but what this allows
me to do is apply tension to the tram line and raise the antenna off the
ground without even pulling on the haul rope.  The closer to the tower
that you attach the cable clamp, the higher you can raise the antenna.

I find this helpful in getting the antenna balanced.  It gets the
antenna up to a convenient height for adjusting the tiller bar without
having to bend over.  There are other advantages I find to having the
cable clamp on the tram.  For example, when I'm lowering an antenna down
from the tower by myself, I know that I can let it down until the pulley
reaches the clamp.  This leaves the antenna floating in the air and the
elements don't poke into the ground or other objects.  I'm then able to
climb down the tower and lower the antenna the rest of the way by
releasing the tram line tension.

Good luck!

73
Randy K0EU