Re: [TowerTalk] climbing an antenna mast

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] climbing an antenna mast
From: "Dale Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 09:02:09 -0500

Many, many years ago, when I was much younger, the music groups Chicago,
Beach Boys and a mystery group (The Turtles) performed at Jeppeson Stadium
at University of Houston.  In the middle of the footbal field was a 150 foot
tower with a 30 or 40 foot tall mast with a 12-24" square platform.  The
tower was guyed in four or five places, the tower top being the last.  The
mast was flexible!  During an intermission (around 10pm), spotlights
illuminated the all white mast and platform.  Being near the stage, I had
never looked back to see an 'acrobat'(??) climbing the tower until he got
halfway up the mast.  He even carried a chair on his back.  He performed all
sorts of acrobatics with and without the chair on the swaying platform--it
looked like the sway was about 5-10' or more feet off center...scary stuff.

As for drilling holes in the mast, any mast I could drill holes into is too
flimsy for my taste.

73,
Dale, kg5u