Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Open wire choke?

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Open wire choke?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:39:49 -0700
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 14:34:14 -0400, hanslg@aol.com wrote:

> How said the ladder line can't be equipped with a bal/un choke. I
made one by winding two wires next to each other on a 4" PVC pipe. I
had some 25 feet of wires and basically made a 1/1 transformer.
Right connected you will have introduces a nice decoupling inductor
in line with the ladder line. Needless to say I build my own ladder
line out of #14 wire and 4" spacers (spaced 9" apart). Gives you ~
400 ohms line. In my case I am feeding a windom antenna, cut for 80
meter and up. (Works OK on 160 meter too).

>Losses? Probably, but most stations hear me when I am calling bare-
footed, the conditions are OK and no pile-ups.

Your definition of a GOOD common mode choke is very different from
mine. See http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf  Yours will do
VERY little. Mine will do a LOT.