Re: [TowerTalk] Open wire

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Open wire
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:52:42 -0700
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:42:11 -0400, w4lde wrote:

>I am feeding a 80 meter center feed with open wire, about 100ft feed-line.

Open wire line is highly over-rated, especially on a resonant antenna. Do
yourself a favor and buy 100 ft of RG8 or RG11. Now, you can add a coaxial
ferrite choke at the feedpoint, which will likely make the antenna quieter
on receive and minimize RF in your shack (and your neighbors homes). The
loss in 100 ft of RG8 or RG11 is negligible on 80M, even with 5:1 mismatch,
which is about as bad as it can get at the band edges. See my tutorial for
details on the coaxial choke. http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73,

Jim Brown K9YC