Re: [TowerTalk] Coax soldering

To: "W1JCW" <W1JCW@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax soldering
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:32:34 -0700
W1JCW wrote:

> Hi guys -
>
> What is your preferred way to solder an open wire feeder on say RG8 or
> RG213 ?
>
> I know some cut the brand down the middle, solder it at the base and work
> their way to the tip.
> Some twist it then solder or flatting it.
>
> I am looking to try something new.
>
> Suggestions ?
>
> 73-
> W1JCW
> John

To answer the original question about lead dress on the coax:

"Something new" (to you) is to use tweezers to displace the braid
near the "base" (ie away from the end) such that a hole is formed
in the braid.  This is done without cutting.  Then, needlenose
pliers are used to grab the dielectric and yank it through the
hole.  Sounds tricky, but I've done it dozens of times.  For smaller
coax (up to RG58) they have a tool called a "lead extractor" that
makes this easier.  See:

http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com/product-group.aspx?id=723

This tool is too small for RG8, but gives you the idea of what you
want to do by hand.

The other thing to do is install crimp terminals on the braid
and center conductor so that you are not soldering to the coax.

Rick N6RK