Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran damaged?

To: <nf4l@nf4l.com>, <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran damaged?
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:57:03 -0400
> You don't mean just finger tight, do you? No wrench? Mine were put on
> pretty tightly. Surprisingly, very easy to take off.

Not finger-tight, but as tight as you can go with a nut driver. I wouldn't
use a ratchet.

> Having snagged it, then what? How did he get it close enough to repair?

He didn't have to. As I understand it, Doug assembled the cable end in the
normal way with thimble, cable clamps, etc. Then he attached a snap hook to
the thimble. He then attached the snap hook to a fishing pole or bamboo pole
and extended it from the tower to the eye bolt in the boom. He then snapped
the hook onto the eye bolt. I'm not sure how he attached the snap hook to
the pole. He must have had some way to disconnect the two after the hook
snapped on. Also, it must have been done so that the snap hook wouldn't flop
around and would be stiff enough to snap onto the eye bolt. Anyway, once the
boom end was in in place, all he had to do was tighten the turnbuckle at the
mast end.

73, Dick WC1M