Re: [TowerTalk] 2 Element Parasitic Vertical for 160M

To: "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 Element Parasitic Vertical for 160M
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 20:54:35 -0800
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:01:13 -0600, Stan Stockton wrote:

>Am I missing something in the way I am modeling it or should I
expect to see the results shown by the computer.  I am suspicious of
the model since I can change the vertical portion of the reflector
to #10 wire instead of #18 wire and the max gain moves up about 40
khz.  I would have thought it would have moved it down some?

Stan,

I have a lot to learn about Yagis (and this is sort of a Yagi, if I
understand what you're doing), but I've been studying a bit in the
ARRL Antenna Book and building some Yagis. One thing I think I've
learned is that the thing that makes it work is the phase of the
current in the passive elements, which is set by their physical
length as a fraction of a wavelength. As I understand it, the
resonance of the driven element does not matter (or does not matter
much) in determining directivity, and can be varied to achieve a
match (with the hairpin or gamma or whatever).

Others may know a lot more than I do about this, so take this as a
clue, not a definite "I know this for sure" sort of reply.

73,

Jim K9YC