[TowerTalk] Variation of Vertical T

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Variation of Vertical T
From: "Robert Pack" <nx5m@txcyber.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:01:26 -0600
I have a bit of a dilemma for the short term.  While the construction is going
on to erect a true elevated 160m vertical (36 foot high base, insulator then
120 feet above that) I need an alternative vertical for 160.  My preferred
choice at the moment is a top loaded T but current circumstances just are not
going to allow me to string up such an antenna between towers.  I had to remove
the one I had up......or better yet........mother nature removed it for me and
I cannot put it back up right now.
I do not want an inverted L although it is probably the easiest thing to
do....but I do want a vertical.  I also do not want to shunt feed a tower and
put down miles of radial wire.
With a top loaded T antenna in mind.........I put the vertical wire on supports
up my 40m tower with the feedpoint 10 feet above the ground to a point at 105
feet up the 40m tower (95 feet of vertical wire) and instead of the top loading
being in a T configuration I just slope those two wires at 45 degree angles
downward.
Does it matter if the top loading wires are really horizontal or can they be
sloped as described above?
I am assuming the feedpoint will be about 35 ohms so a pair of 75 ohm lines
should accommodate that ok.

Anyone have any valuable input on this issue?
If I can make it work it will be a nice backup antenna for the future.

Bob NX5M