Re: [TowerTalk] Variation of Vertical T

To: "'Robert Pack'" <nx5m@txcyber.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Variation of Vertical T
From: "Wes Attaway \(N5WA\)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:39:54 -0600
My initial thought is that the proximity of the vertical to your tower will
result in quite a bit of mutual coupling between the two.  The coupling
effects would be minimized if the resonant frequency of your 40M
tower-antenna is far removed from 160M.

This isn't necessarily bad, but it will affect the lengths of your wires as
far as resonance on 160M is concerned.  Whether or not you can achieve a
35-ohm feed impedance would be a good question.

>From a pure modeling standpoint, there isn't much difference between a
flat-top T and a T with a downward tilt to the arms.  This is particularly
true with a tall Tee (like yours would be) with relatively short arms.

When all is said and done a simple L would do just about as well, and it
would also have the same mutual coupling questions.

1138 Waters Edge Circle - Shreveport, LA 71106
    318-797-4972 (office) - 318-393-3289 (cell)
        Computer Consulting and Forensics