Re: [TowerTalk] Bumps in coax, choosing coax

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bumps in coax, choosing coax
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 06:34:46 -0600
I have done business with Davis RF and based on that I think it is
safe to say that they offer a quality product at a good price.  Which
brings me to the next point, to the ham who asked for advice on coax:
If I were you I would forget about the Times Microwave cable and the
9913.  If you are interested in quality and low loss there is only one
way to go and that's with Andrew 1/2 inch heliax (LDF4-50).  There is
of course an initial investment, but it pays for itself over time.  If
you need a run that will last at least 20 years, that you can bury,
drive over, step on, and not worry about, this is the feedline for
you.  Also, the connectors are waterproof.   I advise checking the
price per foot from Davis--I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
It compares favorably with the prices for "made up" cables (ones with
the connectors installed on them) from other vendors that are far
inferior to Heliax.   Sure you have to get the Andrew connectors and
they aren't cheap, but you only have to buy them one time.  Of course
this cable only works if you have a feedpoint that is physically
supported somehow.  Once you use Heliax any notion of going back to
anything else except for short jumpers will be unthinkable.

73

Rob
K5UJ

<<<There are lots of whores in the cable business. Most are nothing but brokers
-- they are buying and selling stuff they know nothing about, and buy low
sell high is the only consideration. Most of it is junk. There are no real
specs for performance, construction quality, or uniformity, and even if
there were, these turkeys wouldn't know how to test for them. They are
moving boxes.

When you find "bumps" in new coax, you're dealing with JUNK coax. There's a
REASON it's cheaper. Stick with REAL cable companies like Belden, Times,
Gepco, and Commscope, who actually manufacture their own cable. IF you buy
anything with someone else's name on it, it's probably a company that
doesn't mfr it, but buys it either from a mfr or one of those whores. There
is good private-label cable around, but there's a lot more junk. A few years
ago, I bought some excellent transmitting-grade RG6 with Pasternak's name on
it. Comparing it's physical characteristics to the Belden catalog, I'd guess
that it came from the Belden factory. I've not dealt with Davis RF or seen
any of their products, so can't comment on them. I've done biz with The
Wireman and feel that I got good stuff. I've bought connectors from RF
Connection and gotten junk. When I called to complain, I was told, "hams are
cheap."

If you don't buy Belden, Times, Gepco, or Commscope, make sure you  buy it
from a vendor you trust to 1) know the difference and 2) buy good stuff from
quality mfrs.