Re: [TowerTalk] Resistance of RG-8 cable?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Resistance of RG-8 cable?
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 20:53:32 +0000
That seems about right to me.  And yes, if the resistance gets higher it
could point to problems, but I would blame it mostly on poor connectors
rather than the cable unless it was corroding through the shield.  You
should also check the resistance between the center conductor and shield
with the far end open circuited to check for water saturation of the
dielectric.  I think a better test is a return loss test at 10m, leave the
far end either open or shorted and measure the reflected power or swr, the
higher it is the better the cable.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net