Re: [TowerTalk] Resistance of RG-8 cable?

To: RLVZ@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Resistance of RG-8 cable?
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:03:56 EST

Dick, the ohm meter test is d.c. only but it will detect a shorted or open
cable. The loss has to be determined with real r.f.. Starting with say, 100
 watts, how much power is present at the end?
Compare that loss with a chart  or on line calculator to see how it is
performing.

Since the ohm meter is d.c., the resistance will not change with age. There
 are other ways to determine the loss based on vswr with the end of the
cable  open or shorted. That subject is covered well in the ARRL handbooks. The
higher  the frequency, the higher the loss and lower vswr and easier to
determine  loss.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 12/10/2009 2:42:55 P.M. Central Standard Time,