Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a tower....Heresy to follow..... True statement!

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a tower....Heresy to follow..... True statement!
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:41:29 -0700
Doug,

What you originally stated, and what I originally responded to, was
"real life experience which trumps any theory any day."  I totally
disagree with that statement, with countless historical examples to
prove the point.

Actually, engineering DOES have all the answers given total knowledge of
conditions and proper application of theory.  We don't always have that
full knowledge, of course, but that isn't the fault of "engineering" per
se.  Trial and error is often what teaches us when we didn't fully
understand something, but it is engineering that lets us effectively
apply that new knowledge to the next situation.

I will agree that many things are over engineered, but everyone has
their own impression of where that line should be drawn when safety or
financial liability is involved ... such as with towers.

Dave   AB7E