Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a tower....Heresy to follow..... True statement!

To: Richard Hill <rehill@ix.netcom.com>, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a tower....Heresy to follow..... True statement!
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:26:57 -0800
Richard Hill wrote:
> Tacoma Narrows Bridge:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacoma_Narrows_Bridge_(1940)
>
> Real Life Experience informing Good Engineering Practice.  The value of
> understanding frequency and resonance.
>
> Rich
> NU6T

While interesting, I don't know that the Tacoma Narrows bridge is
relevant here. It was a totally new design, for which there wasn't much
engineering data available, and in fact, when they hired someone to
analyze it (building scale models) they found the problem.  People
putting up towers aren't doing a "totally new design"

What is relevant is that the failed design was selected because it was
cheaper than the original design, and folks believed the new designer,
because he had a reputation (e.g. Golden Gate bridge), not because he
had analysis to back up his design.