Re: [TowerTalk] lp V stepIR

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>, <k2vi@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lp V stepIR
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 14:02:36 -0500
> 3 element stepir and the t8 will radiate almost the same
> signal strength at the other end.

Both modeling and theory strongly disagree with this  ...

The active portion of an 8 element 13-32 MHz LP on an 180
foot boom is a small portion of the total boom length.
Here are model data of an 8 element LP (18 foot boom),
the SteppIR 3 element yagi (16 foot boom) and Force 12
C3E (extra 10 meter director and 18 foot boom).

The SteppIR/3 vs. 8 element LP vs. C3E (free space):
                   LP            SteppIR            C3E
    Band        Gain   F/R     Gain     F/R     Gain   F/R
     20          5.0   9.2      7.4     25       6.6   10
     17          4.9  12.3      8.3     25       3.0    2
     15          4.8  13.0      8.5     20       6.2   11
     12          5.0  14.9      8.8     15       4.4    5
     10          5.1  14.5      9.0     11       7.4   23
      6             n/a        10.1     20          n/a

The Log Periodic is a simplified model of an 8 element design
on an 18 foot boom.  K9LA's work with the T-6 shows about .5
dB less gain for a shorter (12 foot boom) antenna while
Preliminary (unverified) results for a 10 element model (24
foot boom) show about .8 dB additional gain and 1-2 dB better
F/B (model data from AO).

The SteppIR/3 vs C3E numbers closely parallel the field test
data published by N0AX/K7LXC and SteppIR.

One can see that the LP fails to come even close to the SteppIR
- falling short my more than 3 dB except on 20 meters.  Further,
falls one to two dB short of the typical gain of a two element
(Reflector/Driven with 50 Ohm feed).

An LP is a poor trade-off unless you have excess power and
need to operate on any frequency instead of the relatively
narrow amateur bands.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV