Re: [TowerTalk] LP v SteppIR

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LP v SteppIR
From: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:55:21 -0700
This could easily be said for any antenna system.  I have seen pictures
where KC1XX was using an extension ladder at the top of a 200 ft tower to
reach the driven element tuning box.  Other than the sheer pucker factor,
how much do you think an expert tower climber is going to charge.

The bigger the antenna the more one should expect failures.

I have 3 4 ele SteppIR's and they are pretty darn good.  Being a contest I
wanted the 4th element for that extra gain.  It is a blast to use on the
WARC bands and not too many people have bigger beams on this band and you
can be very loud with low power.

I have had TH7's fail, baluns on C3's, Cushcraft 40-2CD coil issues.

Yes I have had a failure of the original boots (most likely because I over
tightened the clamps) with my 4 ele in Montana which caused an element half
to experience gravity.  The element is in perfect shape after the fall.  I
have been lazy with the crappy condx to fix it.  This antenna also has an
issue with swr.  I believe this might have been caused by operator error
transmitting while the element was in motion.  He was a new op to the
station.  I now have lock out boxes making this impossible now.  This
antenna will most likely come down this summer for an overhaul and upgrade
to the 30/40 driven.  It was installed in 2003 so it will be interesting to
see how it has held up.  It has survived a number of 80 mph wind events and
is located in a very windy area.

I have nothing but good things to say about the support and service I have
received from SteppIR.  I was able to get Jim and Mike to provide me with
some specific dimensions for a project.  A task they thought would take a
few minutes modeling ended up being much more difficult but they came
through.

It is easy to make a mistake building these antennas I am sure many of the
problems could be attributed to the user obviously some issues are infant
mortality with chips/motors or in the case where many of the motors failed
the rod holding the spool failed because of a defect in the materials used
to make the rod.

Do most people need the 4 ele.  Probably not.  The 3 ele has very good
numbers and I probably could have improved other areas of the station with
what I could have saved.

Mike W0MU

CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
W0MU.NET or  67.40.148.194