Re: [TowerTalk] LP v SteppIR

To: <lists@subich.com>, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>, <brahmangou@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LP v SteppIR
From: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 15:10:31 -0500
Hi Joe -
Mostly valid points. However, smaller diameter elements can be strong. The
45 foot linear loaded elements in my design are only 1 5/8 " O.D. . They are
"plytubular" design with up to four internal layers of tubing. 45 feet long,
opened 10 feet out with 1" O.D. extren rod to allow for the linear loading.
Design is good for 100 mph with 1/4" of ice. So far, after about ten years,
it has had up to 85 MPH gusty wind with no ice, and no failures.
Regardless of the antenns model considered, anyone's element design would
have to have sufficient bending moment resistance and therefore cost and
weight, plytubular design allows smaller O.D. and therefore smaller
projected wind surface area.
Gene / W2LU