Re: [TowerTalk] stacking logs

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] stacking logs
From: "Steve, W3AHL" <w3ahl@att.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:05:19 -0500
There are two reasons to stack yagis or LPDA's:

1.  To increase gain by using a phased array.  Maintaining a specific
wavelength spacing is important.

2.  Taking advantage of the different take off angles that antennas at
different heights have, due to their interaction with the ground.  Depending
upon the ionospheric conditions, the band, the distance between stations,
etc. sometimes a lower antenna is better than a higher antenna.  Often the
antennas can be switched so that all, any two or only one antenna is active.
This is commonly called "space diversity".  Spending an hour with a program
such as HFTA will provide some insight into why stacked antennas are the
mainstay of contesters.

Steve, W3AHL