Re: [TowerTalk] stacking logs

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] stacking logs
From: "Steve W3AHL" <w3ahl@att.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 16:26:34 -0500
Jim,

The concept of sloping the booms of two vertically stacked LPDA's is to
maintain proper phasing between the wave fronts from the two antennas as the
frequency changes and the active region moves along the boom so they
optimally reinforce each other in the near field and far field regions.  If
the antennas are too far apart or too close the gain decreases somewhat.
But with proper spacing / phasing, the minor lobes can be reduced
significantly, improving F/B ratio.

It has nothing to do with take off angle.  That is primarily a function of
the far field interaction with the ground terrain for the first 2-4
kilometers.

Steve, W3AHL