Re: [TowerTalk] XM-240 Shorty-Forty: X-Hat Modification- Update

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] XM-240 Shorty-Forty: X-Hat Modification- Update
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 18:43:25 -0500
Dick,

> I just went out and inspected the X-Hat assembly on my 1 year
> old  XM-240.  It is constructed as Joe said the original X-Hats
> were constructed: "The original X-hat elements were solid rod
> 3/16" in  diameter with a 1.25" long by 3/8" OD sleeve crimped
> over the  center of he rod before drilling for the #8-32 x 1.75"
> mounting  bolt."

When you inspected your rods, how "tight" was the sleeve - what
was the wall thickness?

If the center of the sleeve is too large, there will be no
support in spite of the crimp.  On the old antennas, there
is very little clearance between the sleeve and the rod ...

The other possibility is that the material was changed.  I have
an old rod that is bent into an "S" shape but shows no ill
effects.  The aluminum is obviously very soft.  If the new rods
are a stiff and brittle they will break much more easily.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV