Re: [TowerTalk] XM-240 Shorty-Forty: X-Hat Modification

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] XM-240 Shorty-Forty: X-Hat Modification
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 18:15:52 -0500

Darl Deeds wrote:
> That's exactly what happened to mine.
>
> Darl  NA8W

I thought I was seeing the beginnings of a pattern between "mine broke
within a month or two  and mine has been up for years" in the reports. I
think Dicks idea of going to a bit larger rod with a doubler at the
center is a good idea.  How the extra diameter will affect the
performance of the "top hat"? I'd expect to see if have a bit more of an
effect so the resonant frequency may be a bit lower, but that's pure
guess work.

Unfortunately the "good grades" of aluminum tubing are expensive
compared to the lesser grades due to compounding the alloy and tempering
it. This likely means the doubler is of soft aluminum instead of
something like T-6 which is used in aircraft.

It's preferable to get a rod and sleeve that fit snug, but movable
before resorting to using epoxy. I'd also probably lengthen the doubler
to 4" rather than 2".

BTW IF you have what is called a "slip roller" or know some one who
does, they can carefully reduce the size of the sleeve so it is a snug
fit on the rod. Another approach is to just hunt for a rod and sleeve
combination that will provide a tight but movable fit.  Calling a
supplier  and just asking might get what you want.  It'll likely cost
more than the present system, but is much preferable.  Although there
are many sources, just off the top of my head the only one I can think
of that is not local would be Texas Towers.  They also follow this
reflector, or have in the past so some on may be able to come up with
the specific sizes needed.

The smaller rod might hold up if the doubler were epoxied in place
instead of crimped. Much depends on the fit of the doubler. As it's
presence on the smaller rod is critical, or at least I'd call it
critical, I'd make it about twice as long as present length and make
sure it was a snug fit using epoxy if necessary.IF the doubler doesn't
fit tight it takes a bit of doing to get the epoxy to fill the void.  As
aluminum has a very large coefficient of expansions the epoxy has to be
able to be capable of handling the movement without breaking, or coming
loose from the rod of sleeve.  There are several ways to approach this
with both requiring an epoxy with a viscosity low enough to get it to
flow between the rod and sleeve.  Make sure the rod and sleeve are clean
with no oil residue on them. Use a good quality, strong epoxy. Ace
Hardware sells an assortment. I use the strongest one they carry. I
assume that Lowe's and Home Depot also carry this type of epoxy.
(Particularly one rated for aluminum). Don't get this stuff on your
wife's carpet as you are unlikely to ever get it out. Some of it is
supposed to even seal or repair high density polyethylene. Read the
directions carefully as some of this, and particularly the stronger
mixes, have some very nasty compounds in them requiring they be used in
an open area.

1.  You can use one side of the drilled hole while blocking the opening
on the other. Use one of the cheap plastic syringes That will hold
between 3 and 10 CC without a needle to inject the mixed epoxy in the
hole  until it comes out at both ends of the sleeve. Hopefully the fit
is good enough you won't need near that volume. Then remove the tape and
inject a little more until it comes out the other side.

2.  The second approach is to  drill a small hole in the undrilled
sleeve/doubler very close to one end. Put the doubler in place at the
center the new, un-drilled rod. Wrap tape over the end of the sleeve
)that has the small hole drilled in it )to seal it to the rod You'll
likely have to clean the tape away from the drilled hole.  Inject the
freshly mixed epoxy into the small hole  until the space between the
sleeve and rod is filled and epoxy comes out other end. The following
may not be necessary, particularly if the sleeve is a fairly close fit
on the rod.  Being careful not to move the sleeve on the rod, remove the
tape and give it another shot of epoxy to fill the void that will likely
form opposite the drilled hole.  Let cure for the proscribed time before
drilling the center hole and installing.

As I said earlier, I'd resort to the epoxy only if I could not get a
sleeve and rod combination that were not a snug, but movable fit.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)