Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Coax Loss

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Coax Loss
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 21:44:47 -0500

Dan Schaaf wrote:
> Having been a calibration Engineer in my early days,
As was I
>  I concur with Jim.
> In addition, each coax connector inline introduces losses.
True, but the loss between a couple connectors and the 10 I have between
the rig and top of the tower is only a couple tenths of a db, far less
than they tell me it's supposed to be.
>  They all add up.
> Definitely worse in VHF/UHF.
I'm talking about six and two meters.  440's a different animal.
The number of connectors adds up in a hurry and can get expensive.
Starting from the rig I have a patch panel. That's two male connectors
and a bulkhead connector.
At the tower the cable exits the equipment box which is two more
connectors and another bulkhead connector for grounding near the base of
the tower.  Then at the top of the tower the coax is grounded again for
two more male connectors and a bulkhead connector. Then, one of those
connectors was on a 28' pigtail which goes to a power divider which
feeds two antennas with two coax connectors  but to an individual
antenna there is the coax between the divider and the antenna with two
chassis connectors (one at the divider and one at the antenna), plus the
coax between them for two more connectors.  Overall length from rig in
ham shack to antennas is 228' with a total of 14 connectors

160 through six has a six pack added for SO-2R for 12 including the
antenna...except 75 and 40 are fed through remote antenna switches for
an additional 4 connectors or a total of 16, but at those frequencies
it's still only a couple of tenths. However if you are only talking
about connection points the number drops from 14 to 9.
>  Some folks say you can't hear the difference,
> but when you are trying to hear and work a weak signal in/above the noise,
> every db counts.

Working aurora where the signal can't be seen on a scope and only shows
up as a change in the background noise is where every db really counts.<:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)