Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Coax Loss

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Coax Loss
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 21:33:46 -0800
> How many measurements of coax loas have you actually made? How did you do it?
> How did you know that you had good data? At some point, you've got to know
> exactly how long that piece of coax is. RG8 is big and heavy, so unspooling
> enough of it to get a good measurement isn't always easy. You've got to deal
> with the length of cable sample you can get.

This is why the measurement with the network analyzer (or one port
analyzer) is interesting...it can "measure the length" as well as the
loss.  (well, the electrical length.. I don't know if you can figure out
the epsilon or the propagation velocity purely with a network analyzer
and no tape measure...)