[TowerTalk] tower installation HG52SS / options

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower installation HG52SS / options
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:40:52 -0800
gents

When installing free standing towers on ROCK,  you have a few options.   My
buddy has a huge trylon,  that is located on solid rock.
Instead of messing about  with jack hammers,  he used TRYLON'S    suggested
method and used  rock anchor bolts.

Three  holes were drilled into the rock,  about  2"  diam  x  XXX feet deep.
Anchor's inserted and packed  with special epoxy goop
[ NON shrinkable epoxy]   On some trylon towers,   2 x  anchor rods  are used
for each tower leg  [  6 x anchor's in total.. and 5' long]

We also used the same technique at the Telco I worked at for 34 yrs...  for
microwave tower's and also cell towers... located on remote
mountain tops [ read  100++ mph winds + 1-3"  of radial ice]    Rock anchors
also used [ usually in pair's]   for guy anchors, for guyed microwave
tower's.

Plan B  [ also from Trylon]   is  to use huge  jumbo size  HILTI  anchors.
These  things  are  are  24"  long  x 2"  diam ... and made  spec
for anchoring towers !     I have installed thousands of hilti anchor's  at
work, yr ago.. and usually in both floors and also hundreds of em
in the concrete  ceiling's  [+ elevator shafts etc]    We  hung  thousands of
lbs of cable  runways  on small hilti anchors, suspended from the ceilings.

These day's  everything has to be seismic rated in BC.  In the last few years,
all our  equipment bays [19"-30" wide] are heavy duty steel
with these monster size  hilti's  in the floor.    When that earthquake in wash
state hit us.. a few yrs ago.... they held just fine... didn't budge.

Didn't even know they made these  super  jumbo size ones for tower's.   The
internal bolts  for em are  1" diam  x 30"  long.  The anchor itself
is  2"  diam   x 24"  long... and requires a special  hilti  drill.    These 2"
 x 24" long hilti's  I believe, are made for CONCRETE... dunno if they can also
be used in
rock..or not.     The idea of em is so an  existing concrete  base can  be
re-used  on another tower.  All this info is on Trylon's  site.. or just phone
em.

later....... Jim   VE7RF