Re: [TowerTalk] tower installation HG52SS / options

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower installation HG52SS / options
From: Michael Goins <wmgoins@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 23:25:22 -0600
Okay, I guess I'm going to end the discussion by sincerely thanking
all who responded.

The array of answers, here and privately, was impressive to say the
least and ran the gamut from really helpful, typical ham responses of
"what I'd do," to some that were basically "you are an idiot for even
asking such a question without a certified engineer and thinking you
could possibly put up a tower without mega-money."

I do thank all for the response, regardless of the side you took. Some
very fine information came my way and the few responses that were
incredibly negative or amazingly over-engineered also helped, in their
own way.

This is not planned to be a 150 foot commercial tower, engineered to
death with every possible legal contingency figured and refigured - it
is simply a relatively small ham setup - like 99% of us have -  on
nine acres out in the country, designed to handle a relatively small
antenna load (per the manufacturer's specs).

I sincerely appreciate all the help and I believe I now know exactly
what I will do here. It will be done well, it will be very safe, and
it will be very permanent. Thanks again all.

Michael Goins, k5wmg
Professor, Writing
University of Texas at San Antonio