Re: [TowerTalk] Why time delay on UST MDPL?

To: <richard@karlquist.com>, "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Why time delay on UST MDPL?
From: "Tod -ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 09:47:34 -0700
 Rick:

Isn't the time delay pluggable? There is too much snow between me and the
tower base to want to check personally, but I would certainly hope it is
easy to change if needed.

That begs the question of why it is there.

I had assumed that the time delay was to let any 'wind down' of the
winch/motor assembly to happen before the motor tries to move things in a
different direction. Although the rate at which everything is moving seems
pretty slow I suppose there is something in the system with just enough
inertia to put a serious load on the motor when it is trying to run in a
different direction.

To me the fact that your motor stalls when you change direction is indeed a
'clue'. One should allow things to stop moving before changing directions is
what it is trying to tell us and the delay relays simply enforce that when
you are raising and lowering the tower remotely from the base.

Tod, K0TO