[TowerTalk] Rotor for Hexbeam?

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotor for Hexbeam?
From: Jim Miller <jim@jtmiller.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 20:53:59 -0500
I've never had a antenna rotor either for TV or for ham radio use. So
I'm a complete newbie at this. My current antenna is a 88ft dipole
which works well on 20-40m and as a hatted vertical on 80-160m.

With the apparent resurgence of sunspots I'd like to get going on
15-10m as well.  I'm considering a Traffie HX-5Bi and would mount it on
top of my 30ft AB1342 crankup. Due to HOA issues the crank up would be
collapsed when not on the air.

Although the 1342 can be rotated while guyed I'd rather not do that so
I'd like to mount a rotor on top and then with a minimal mast mount the 5Bi
on that.

The 1342 is buried under 2ft of snow right now but IIRC the top is a
stub about 2" high by about 2" in diameter. I can probably augment
that by attaching to the upper guy plate if necessary since I don't
plan on using that or rotating the 1342.

I don't think I need computer control.

What should I look for in a rotor for this small symmetrical antenna?
What should I stay away from?

73

jim ab3cv (in snowy Maryland)