Re: [TowerTalk] Wind Loads from N0AH

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wind Loads from N0AH
From: "\(N0AH\) Bryon \"Paul\" Veal" <bryonveal@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 21:51:02 -0700
You have to be careful sometimes with what tower and/or antenna companies
provide as they might relate to your specific installation.

In my case in 2007 with a 19 foot roof tower,  the tower manufacture maybe
should have been applying IRC-2003 codes, (International Residential Codes),
and IBC-2003 codes, (Int'l Building Code)  versus the supplied BOCA codes
which were outdated in many states. In fact, at the time, close to 90% of
the building departments in my state of Colorado had been using these
updated codes for the past 3-4 years.   For my roof top tower, within these
codes, I had to use the TIA-222-F-96 guidelines and had to hire an engineer
to provide a PE stamp and drawings for my tower installation for my county's
approval.   There are even more up-to-date codes now. They change
frequently.

This was for the installation plans resulting in a PE stamp. The structural
analysis of the tower itself is typically done by the manufacturer's
engineer.  Your engineer should take the tower and antenna manufacturer's
information, study your installation site, and then be able to provide you
on what needs to be done to support the antenna and tower safely based on
your county's code.  I believe that this is the safest way to insure a safe
beginning to the tower installation process.

We have a lot of wind variables here in Colorado including high winds and
ice build up that I don't believe every company stating wind load takes into
account for specific installations.  As complicated as this process sounds,
the PE charges were under $500.00, less than my home owner's insurance
deductible,  and my contractor was provided the specifics to construction
materials needed.  My permit with the county went through without a problem
as did the final inspection.