Re: [TowerTalk] What happened to the Fractal Design in Ham Antennas

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What happened to the Fractal Design in Ham Antennas
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:12:25 -0800
jimlux wrote:

> Limited commercial viability (e.g. no big advantage over other shortened
> antenna designs, so a lot more marketing sizzle than steak) and a patent
> owner (Nathan Cohen) rumored to be litigious to boot.
>
> fractenna.com

Reminds me of the Cuk inductorless switching power supply.  It certainly
represented out of the box thinking and maybe had some advantages over
other supplies in certain applications.  However, it was patented and I
guess the licensing was onerous so it never saw much use.  The patent is
now expired but it still hasn't been adopted.

Rick N6RK