Re: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring
From: Martin Ewing <martin.s.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:24:50 -0400
As you suggest, these standards (and especially code requirements, e.g. the
rule on 8:1 "fan-out") are (IMO) basically for permanent installations done
by professionals.  [Would it be OK to use an 8-way outlet strip on each of 8
outlets on a branch circuit?] Do code or other regs apply to end users in
any meaningful way?  Maybe the insurance company will refuse to pay after
your house burns down if you were naughty?

As hams, we should obey codes and standards, because that will (generally)
produce a safer installation and there will be fewer arguments if something
goes wrong.

73 Martin AA6E

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net> wrote:

> > "Strip B into Strip A, and Strip C into Strip B..."
>
> In the U.S., UL Standard 1363 prohibits the cascading of relocatable power
> taps (i.e., "portable outlet strips").  Many municipal ordinances
> incorporate Standard 1363 into their local codes.  Outside of a brief
> mention in Article 220 regarding multi-outlet assemblies, I don't believe
> the NEC directly addresses the use of relocatable power taps since the NEC
> is designed as an installation standard, and not a product standard, like
> UL.
>
> http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/scopes/scopes.asp?fn=1363.html
>
> Paul, W9AC

Dr. Martin S. Ewing, AA6E