Re: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 22:04:32 -0400

Wes Attaway (N5WA) wrote:
> The prior comments indicate that having MOVs at the service entrance is the
> way to go to get "whole house" protection.  There are a number of commercial
> products available.  I use the following, and have had excellent results:

Something we have to remember that is often taken for gospel and that is
the whole house rising to a given voltage together, which isn't quite
true as it's phrased and isn't true at all in some older homes.

The entire house does not rise and fall to the same potential at the
same time!  BUT if all is wired properly the ground, neutral, and hot
along with telephone and data lines "at any given spot" (or location)
rise and fall together (more or less) . However the potential between
this point and one on the other side of the house might be several
thousand volts. An important point though is that when "induced voltage"
from a nearby strike is taken into account there may be substantial
differences between the different wires.

73

Roger (K8RI)