Re: [TowerTalk] 40/80m dipole

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40/80m dipole
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:29:18 -0400
Dan,

The ARRL antenna book has a section on winding coils as you are looking for.
Depends on how far out the wire the coil will be needed.  I suggest a coil
that traps 40 at the 1/2 wave point on 40 and loads 80 with the extra
length.  So depending on where on 40 you are looking at out 66 feet or so.

As a sloper type wire there will be some directivity in the direction of the
slope.  Be sure the feed line comes as close to right angles to the wire as
possible so not to mess up the pattern.  Keep the opposite end off the
ground as far as possible so people or animals will not touch it.

I have two old Mor-Gain 80/40 dipoles almost vertical with the bottom
section of one sloping toward the NE and the second sloping toward the WSW.
But remember these are DX antennas with local skywave signals down 10 to 20
DB over the same antenna as a horizontal one.

Good luck.  73 Dave K4JRB