Re: [TowerTalk] TOWAIR query - proximity to airport, FCC and FAA regist

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TOWAIR query - proximity to airport, FCC and FAA registration
From: "J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT" <w2ttt@att.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 15:21:48 -0000
Hi Folks!

Here are a couple of useful references to determine the Airport Reference
Point and to calculate the distance from it.

I first determined the airport identifier for the airport, if I don't have
it, by using Google to search for, "Airport Identifier Newark" or "Airport
Identifier Teterboro".
Another way is to search for the location identifier using this reference:
http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/lid/L_B.htm
The only issue there may be that prefixes may be a bit cryptic to figure out
in the next step.  You may need to try the three letter code with or without
a "K" prefix to find the ARP.

Then I used Google to find the ARP for the airport, by using the phrase,
"Airport Reference Point EWR" or "Airport Reference Point KTEB" to obtain
the position data.

Then the calculation is done using the data from this page.
http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/AERO/arpcomp/arpframe.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks & 73,
Gordon Beattie, W2TTT