Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain AV640 Toroid core mix, or Beefing up an AV640

To: atrampler@att.net, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain AV640 Toroid core mix, or Beefing up an AV640
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 22:44:29 -0400

Art Trampler wrote:
> Roger,
>
> I was having trouble with the choke overheating on 40 meters because it had
> been wound with a lot of the windings at five o'clock instead of having the
> evenly spaced.
Other than the bees nesting inside the matching network I've had no
problems even running the legal limit, but the duty cycle has been low.
>   Anyway, that is fixed now, but I considered as a work around
> getting a higher power choke balun and 4:1 unun from Balun Designs.
I plan on using a higher powered 4:1 balun as I plan on higher power, or
rather a much higher duty cycle plus higher power on 6-meters. I have
lots of #31 mix cores, or will within a few days, but I understand the
#43 mix is better for 50 MHz.  I'll probably use 4 cores instead of 2
and Davis BuryFlex instead of the small coax for the current balun. For
the 4:1 I'll probably also use 4 cores and go to Teflon insulated #10
wire, but those are just thoughts at present.
>   Granted
> it would have been pricey, but it would have done the job and might meet
> your needs.

I have basically every thing I need, I just need to figure out what to
use. That and I'll probably need to house the matching network in a
larger box and use a capacitor that will handle more current.

73

Roger (K8RI)