Re: [TowerTalk] 7-16 Din?

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 7-16 Din?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:07:51 -0700
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:34:27 -0400, Dick Green WC1M wrote:

>I ended up scoring an incredible deal on a big box full of NOS male and
>female 1-5/8" N connectors. That decided the issue.

The bottom line is that whatever QUALITY connectors that fit the cable and
that you get at a good price are the ones to use. For ham use at HF and
VHF, they will work just fine. Ditto for some improvised connectors made
using plumbing fittings that I've seen (I think on N4ZR's website). The
only time you need to be more selective than that is if you're doing
critical work above 500 MHz.

I would seriously question any claim of measurable mismatch caused by
QUALITY UHF connector(s), properly installed and not degraded by
corrosion, below 500 MHz in a real world antenna system. Could you see
them on a TDR? Probably. Could you see it on an SWR bridge? VERY unlikely.
Does it MATTER? No. Why? Because it's a small mismatch, and because the
length of the line through the connector is a small fraction of a
wavelength.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC