Re: [TowerTalk] what not to do in your tower

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] what not to do in your tower
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:31:26 -0400
Roger (K8RI) wrote:

>> Think of them as mechanical fuses  ;)

> They certainly are the weakest link in the system. OTOH maybe I
> shouldn't say that without seeing the other ends of the guys. <:-))  I
> guess I'm a bit puzzled as to why put those rings in there in the first
> place. The links above them are probably about 1200# which is still way
> under even 3/16" EHS.  It looks like he's using the 6000# test
> Phillystran...with 1200# links?

Well, once they decided to use the screw chain links, they needed
something that would fit into them, which the thimbles would not do.

This part of the install was not planned very well, but the rings, which
appear to be 1/4", are a little better than key rings.

Next time they will undoubtedly will use a shackle right there...

-Steve K8LX