Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 12:06:18 -0400
Yes, by all means, look at the descriptions in the Antenna Book and on
the ARRL web site.  I'm not sure if it is mentioned there, but there's
one added consideration. I think I'm correct to describe HFTA and its
predecessors as two-dimensional - that is, in calculating the effects of
terrain on a signal being radiated on a given azimuth, the program only
considers reflection and diffraction occurring *in the plane* defined by
the azimuth and the tower base.  Any effects from terrain that slopes
*across* the plane are not calculated.  I have no idea, in practice, how
large such effects might be, but it seems worth bringing up.  I can
visualize "funneling" effects that could result from a signal passing
through a steep-sided deep valley between two mountains, for example.

73, Pete N4ZR