Re: [TowerTalk] AV-640 (was GapChallenger ComparisonTesting Studies)

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AV-640 (was GapChallenger ComparisonTesting Studies)
From: "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@att.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 20:39:26 -0400
The AV-640 is actually a 3/8 wave vertical. I measured it on all bands. That
is why the need for the balun. And I am not so sure that it is 4:1.
At 3/8 wave, the impedance is quite different from a 1/4 wave antenna. But,
it has a lower angle of radiation than a 1/4 wave.
I mounted mine at 7 ft above ground. I foud that height did not improve it's
performance. And, the HyGain manual clearly states that height has no
significant advantage. Just keep the tips of the counterpoise at a level
that does not poke someone's eyes out if they inadvertantly walk into it.
I use no guy wires and we have some pretty stiff winds here in Florida. It
just waggles around in the wind a bit. pretty robust antenna.
I am still curious how those shorting straps on the 30/40 meter coils work.
They appear to eb a short circuit on DC but I have no idea how they work at
RF.

Dan Schaaf
K3ZXL
"In the Beginning there was Spark Gap"