Re: [TowerTalk] AV-640 (was GapChallenger ComparisonTesting Studies)

To: <w4tv@subich.com>, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AV-640 (was GapChallenger ComparisonTesting Studies)
From: "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@att.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 13:08:21 -0400
Joe

Here is the better question to answer.
At what point does a dipole or doublet or Hertz antenna stop being a dipole
and start being a Windom in the general terminology that you offer? When it
is 1 inch offset at the feedpoint? When it is 1 ft offset at the feedpoint?
When it is 10 ft offset at the feedpont? What if the short end of the dipole
is 1 inch long or 1 ft long or 10 ft long? What is it called?

In my humble opinion, no matter what the length on each side of the two wire
or coax feedpoint, it is a dipole, either center fed or off center fed. And
the feedpoint impedance is a function of where the feed point is located.
Thus requiring no matching  ( balun/unun) at center feed or requiring a
matching circuit ( balun) at off center feed.

The Windom is a single wire feed and that is what differentiates it from a
standard dipole. Di meaning 2 and pole meaning conductor.

Dan Schaaf
K3ZXL
"In the Beginning there was Spark Gap"
www.k3zxl.com