Re: [TowerTalk] AV-640 (was GapChallenger ComparisonTesting Studies)

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AV-640 (was GapChallenger ComparisonTesting Studies)
From: "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@att.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 20:07:05 -0400
Well, Jim. Then it may just be a matter of semantics.
You see the AV-640 as a Windom, I see it as a 3/8 wave Marconi monopole (
vertical ) with elevated radials. And since it is 3/8 wave, it has a high
impedance at the feedpoint which requires the matching balun.

Most importantly, the radiation patters are markedly different between the
Windom of any sort and the AV-640.

The Windom pattern looks like a Chrysanthemum Fower ( almost
omni-directional ) and the 640 is a very low angle radiator without the
additional lobes.

Dan Schaaf
K3ZXL
"In the Beginning there was Spark Gap"