[TowerTalk] Advice removing cold spray galvanizing compound

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Advice removing cold spray galvanizing compound
From: r young <ryoung158@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 18:00:48 -0400
I need to strip off some cold spray galvanizing compound from the bolts at
my tower base.

 I had applied the stuff as preventive maintenance over the years. I'm going
to remove that tower and replace it with one that fits those bolts exactly.

To make sure the nuts come off the anchor bolts I was told to strip the
paint and then apply some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench.

My problem is, I've been wire brushing it and don't seem to be able to get
the cold spray galvanizing compound off. Maybe I'm making a small dent in
it.

I tried a wire end brush on a good Milwaukee drill and thought it would come
right off to bare metal. It didn't.

What's the best way to remove this stuff ? I don't want it to stop the nuts
from coming off the bolts.

Tks very much,

Gerry