Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.

To: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 14:36:29 -0700
Steve Hunt wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Can you say something more about what you see as the failings of the AIM.
>
> I was impressed by how my AIM handled high impedances. If I calibrate it
> carefully, and then measure a 10k resistor, the AIM predicts a parallel
> equivalent of 10k//0.2pF with less than 5% variation anywhere in the
> range 1-30MHz.
>
> 73,
> Steve G3TXQ
>
> Jim Brown wrote:
>> High impedance measurement on a traditional vector analyzer can be
>> tricky, as noted in my section on measurement. :) Reflection-based
>> measurements yield considerable error, because the unknown Z is too
>> far from the 50 ohm circuit Z. HP addresses this in one of their app
>> notes on Z measurement. That's the failing of the AIM unit.

Steve,
what about a high reactive impedance.

Mostly, the problems I've had with this kind of thing have to do with
fixturing and/or calibrating the fixture out.  I was trying to measure
the Z of traps, and never did get a good fixture scheme worked out. It's
not like you can just take a couple banana plug clipleads..  I finally
decided to remain ignorant of the electrical properties of the traps in
a 6-BTV.