Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.

To: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>, towertalk-bounces@contesting.com, "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.
From: jimlux@earthlink.net
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 16:37:59 +0000
So here's an interesting question. You see claims and disagreements about power
handling ability.

Of course, how much power gets dissipated depends a lot on the specific
application. But, is there some sort of standard test condition that would be
representative?

In the space biz we use "twice the voltage" or "operate into any load of any
phase". Those aren't reasonable for hams.

I was thinking you'd have some sort of nominal mismatch, representing the
operating bw of the antenna. That would be a continuous power handling.  Then
you'd have a open/short test for short duration. Like if your antenna broke off
a piece( you'd see the high swr and unkey)
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T