Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 22:32:34 +0100
Jim,

This sketch may help:

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/temp/4%20to%201%20current%20balun%202.png

I've re-drawn the usual 4:1 current balun schematic (Fig 1) into a
different, but exact equivalent, schematic Fig 2. It's clear that the
input differential-mode voltage _must_ appear across the two balun
windings P2 & P1 in a way that doesn't happen in a 1:1 current balun,
and that "voltage transformer" action must occur in B1 & B2 to drive
voltages across S2 & S1.

Please note: I'm _not_ saying it's a voltage balun - it's easy to show
that it drives equal _currents_ into the two output legs; but there _is_
"voltage transformer" action happening within one or both cores in a way
that doesn't happen with the 1:1.

73,
Steve G3TXQ