Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 22:48:56 +0100
Jim,

Please see my last posting.

The differential-mode input voltage is not just _between_ the windings
of one balun, it is _across_ the windings. If there were no
differential-mode transformer action you could never generate 2V at the
output from V at the input. No matter what the load-balance situation,
you must always have the differential-mode voltage shared between the
two balun cores as shown in my Fig 2, and so there will always be flux
directly proportional to the differential mode input.

Quote from W8JI:

"Baluns that transform impedance to new values, like a 4:1 balun,
somehow must always have full transmission line differential voltage
across a winding. This means you have a winding with voltage across it
that is creating flux in a core."

73,
Steve G3TXQ