Re: [TowerTalk] A couple of Inquiries

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A couple of Inquiries
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 22:25:22 -0400

On 5/29/2010 9:40 PM, Byron Tatum wrote:
> Hello-
>      If I could impose for some information:
>          1. I bought a NOS HyGain TH3 MK4 and started assembling it today.
> The very first joint I tried to clamp was an element tip, where the small
> 1/2" tubing slips inside the slotted end of a trap. I could not tighten the
> hose clamp enough (with a nut driver) to get a sufficient squeeze to hold the
> 1/2" element tip. What is the best solution to this? I do not want to do
> anything I would regret later, but my thoughts were to saw another slot in
> the tubing, opposite the single slot that is present now. I wonder if the
> larger element pieces are the same way - they are thicker and look tough to
> squeeze.

Get a smaller hose clamp. There should be one of the proper size, but if
not make a visit to the local hardware store and look for SS hose clamps.
>          2. I found a balun by Cal-Av Labs (suspect is older one) model TL-3.
> It appears as a torroidal balun, is in a square metal case with 2 mounting
> holes. Does anyone have any specs on this balun?

I'd wind one using Jim Brown's tutorial.
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm
I have a TH-5 which I think is the same or at least similar to the TH-3
and it uses a 1:1 noted for being fragile so that's what I'm doing.

73

Roger (K8RI)