Re: [TowerTalk] BCD relay driver ideas needed

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BCD relay driver ideas needed
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 11:12:07 -0400
Thanks to everyone who responded, and special thanks to Joe, W4TV, for
enduring a series of questions.  I thought others might find it useful
for me to document the outcome.

The solution, which Joe and several others suggested, is to use an
optoisolator with a MOSFET output stage.  I chose two Panasonic AQW212
2PST (NO) "solid state relays" which can switch up to 60 volts at 500 mA
- plenty of headroom.  I will try current limiting resistors on the
inputs, even though this part is rated at below 1 mA typical turn on
current, and a series diode on each output line to isolate it from the
manual switching.  At Joe's suggestion, I'm going to use Position 1 of
the RCS-10's control box's 1 of 8 output to supply the 12 volts, because
in that position the BCD output is 000, eliminating any conflicts in
what gets sent to the relays.

I should have it running by the end of the week, and will report any
glitches, but it looks pretty straight-forward.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com