Re: [TowerTalk] HG52-ss cable

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HG52-ss cable
From: "Don Tucker" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 16:16:33 -0700
- - - Not sure what kind of SS cable you are specing Jim, but the SS cable
available down here is rated at 6400 from one source and 6100 from another
(the fleet rigger buys from both), NOT 4300. Agree on the gal aircraft cable
bking strength at around 7000 - both better than the orig cable that came on
the HyGain tower. Because of my location, I opted for the SS, but you are
right on relative to having a rigger who knows what they are doing, and
understanding the use. Did cost a few! bucks more though.

Don W7WLL
## big difference between  galvanized aircraft cable... and galvanized winch
cable..
and SS cable.   1/4" aircraft cable is good for 7000 lbs..... gal winch
cable is good for 5700 lbs
and SS cable is down around 4300 lbs.   They are all 7 x 19 construction
too.  You need the
right stuff.. with the right nicropress crimps..and the correct length.

later... Jim  VE7RF