Re: [TowerTalk] Type 31 baluns

To: towertalk@contesting.com, knormoyle@surfnetusa.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Type 31 baluns
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 20:19:24 -0400

 > By using 18 awg, I can space the bifilar turns to get some separation
 > turn to turn to help increase voltage breakdown between turns.. and I
 > won't use the full toroid..So I won't do a crossover winding, but
 > still be able to get to the SO-239's on either side of the 4x4x2
 > NEMA6 box without too much distance or extra capacitance.

Instead of mounting the toriod stack flat in a 4x4x2 box, why not
mount it "on end" in a deeper (e.g. 4x4x4 or 4x4x6) box?   It might
take a little creativity to build a mounting baffle but standing
the toroid stack "on end" would allow it to be mounted very close
to the output side of the box and minimize the a amount of the
windings in proximity to any metal mounting plate or boom.

"On edge" mounting might also fit well with a rectangular box
for baluns with a larger number of cores - or series combination
of cores for wide band applications.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV