Re: [TowerTalk] Harbor Freight WInch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Harbor Freight WInch
From: "F.R. Ashley" <gdadx2@clearwire.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:45:30 -0400
Remember guys,

There is a big difference between a winch and a hoist.   Most winches have a
"freespool" feature, and believe me, you do NOT want that on your crank up
tower!   That invites disaster!   N6RK is correct about "Jeep winches"; they
are designed to PULL, not lift.  Most winches are for pulling and not
lifting, much less lifting and then suspending a load indefinitely.  A few
years ago I looked at almost every winch and hoist available, and decided to
just rework my old Tow-Tec as best I could.

73 Buddy WB4M